Homoeopathic Queries & Solutions
NATIONAL JOURNAL OF HOMOEOPATHY 1993 May / Jun Vol II No 3.
Prof Dr Kasim Chimthanawala.
1. What do you think about Silicea being administered to patients having nail and
plate fitted for fractures of long bones? Will the drug not throw away these foreign
bodies by the process of suppuration and sinus formation? Please opine.
Dr. Ramdas Kaikade Anjangaon Surji
It is true that Silicea removes foreign bodies embedded in the tissues and organs. But it is necessary to understand the term foreign body. In the literal sense, it is a term for something that is NOT accepted by the body as its own, hence it tries to get rid of it by inflammation, suppuration abscess formation, which ultimately bursts open. This natural process is definitely augmented by Silicea. However, when an individuals constitution has accepted the substance without any untoward response, then in such cases Silicea will not have this effect.
2. What should we do after repertorisation, when 3 to 4 remedies and each covers 2 or 3 symptoms of the patient and not the other symptoms, eg in the case of Chronic tonsillitis given below?
Tonsillitis agg winter, cold drinks; better from warm drinks. Mucus in the throat agg. waking from sleep.
Desires - Tea, rice, very hot drinks.
Generally agg. onions, rice.
Palms always sweating.
The case may be incomplete but how should one prescribe when Alumina, Pulsatilla and Lycopodium come close to each other? Please explain the plan of treatment.
Dr. Tarun Aggarwal Delhi
The three drugs, Alumina, Pulsatilla and Lycopodium, that have identified, require to be thoroughly
scrutinized in the light of the patients complaints. For this, Synthetic Repertory is most
suitable, because it contains the rubrics in question.
For example -
- The patient desires very hot drinks, which means he does not relish cold drinks, which rather aggravate his tonsillitis, both Alumina and Lycopodium have an equal desire for Hot and Cold drinks. (SR Pg. 248 and 233) Pulsatilla also carries one mark in this symptom.
- Similarly, both Alumina and Pulsatilla have desire for Tea and Rice and Rice disagrees in Pulsatilla.
- The pathological totality is common in nature and it does not corroborate with the general characteristic of tonsillitis.
- Manage the case with a suitable short acting remedy.
- If the case offers, in a lean period, look into the mental picture of the case as all the three have different mental temperaments.
- If the mental symptoms are not available, then select a Nosode or a deep acting Anti-miasmatic remedy and administer it in a high potency, single dose. Wait for the case to become clear and then retake the case as a fresh one. You will surely find the similimum now.
3. Many reputed homoeopathic pharmacies are preparing combination medicines, tonics, patents, soaps,
cosmetics and so on. Can Central Council not take any steps to stop them.
Dr. P.C. Choudhry W. Bengal
It is true and unfortunate that in recent decades the homoeopathic pharmacies are flooded with hundreds of patent medical
combinations, attractively packed in allopathic style, claiming rapid and confident cures.
No good homoeopathic physician will accept them as Hahnemannian.
These are absolutely non-homoeopathic. They are meant for half baked homoeopathic
patients who are not inclined to long term constitutional treatment. These are available
off the use. This method may gain some converts to homoeopathy or lose some. However the
only valid combinations are the biochemics or local applications like Calendula, soaps and
It is equally unfortunate that many big bulls who project themselves as the custodians of homoeopathy promote these pharmacies and it is in this that lies the danger that a novice may take it as good homoeopathy.
4. I am a DHMS student in my second year. I would like to know why a gallstone is usually found in females and what is the role of homoeopathy in removal of gallstones?
Yes; statistics show that females are more prone to gall-stones than males. The exact cause however is not known but probable factors are -
- Vulnerability of hormonal mechanism in females, which in turn is very much dependent on emotional state of an individual. Statistically it has been found that females are more emotional than men.
- Lack of active exercise, sedentary work, tendency to obesity, increased deposition of subcutaneous fat, repeated pressures on the abdominal organs due to gravid uterus leading to stasis. These factors predispose a rapid precipitation of cholesterol, bile salts, calcium and other salts.
5. What vehicle is used for the preparation of high potencies of alcohol? Who has done the systematic
provings of alcohol and where can I find the details?
Dr. Mrs. V.S. Mehta Sangli
Alcohol is one of the recent additions to the homoeopathic armamentarium. The detailed and systematized records of its provings are not to be found in any standard book on Materia Medica. Factually speaking I am not aware of the same. You may 7obtain it from the Central Council of Homoeopathic Research, New Delhi. Logically, I presume that the vehicle use in preparing Higher potencies of Alcohol must be Sugar of Milk. I may be wrong but I will be grateful to be enlightened.