Queries and Solutions - 1.
NATIONAL JOURNAL OF HOMOEOPATHY 1996 Jan / Feb Vol V No 1.
Q 1: Have you ever or do you know somebody, who has cured a case of Cancer of
Oesophagus stage II. If so please write the list of remedies which have been clinically
verified. Please note I do not want the list from one of the repertories.
Dr Nikhil Ghosh.
I distinctly remember to have been able to cure a patient who was a Homoeopathic consultant himself suffering from a histologically confirmed case of Ca Oesophagus with secondaries in left submandibular glands with Merc-iod-rubrum 340 and 200, Conium 200 and Carcinosin 1M (one dose) administered according to symptoms. But, after about a year and a half of Homoeopathic treatment, his old complaint of Pulmonary Tuberculosis returned which did not yield to any medicine and he died 6 years later.
The National Academy of Homoeopathy, India along with Sant Tukdoji Maharaj Cancer institute, Nagpur, had undertaken a project of Homoeopathic treatment of Cancer patients in 1990. We had registered 674 cases during the full year. Of them 276 died within 3 months of treatment (serious cases who had come after all radical treatments were administered), about 184 left the treatment within one month, about 110 are still (6 years later) living fine and about 100 or so are still being monitored and treated palliatively as and when asked for. A detailed statistical report was presented in our Annual Report 95.
We have found that the prognosis of any case depended upon the stage of the disease, resistance of the patient, treatments undertaken and the manifesting miasmatic complex.
It is good if the patient is below 50 years of age, the progress of the disease is slow, the pathology is restricted only to the primary organ particularly Breast, Prostate and Uterus with no lymphadenopathy, no excision biopsy has been done, no much destructive treatment like radiotherapy, chemotherapy or surgical intervention has been undertaken, patients physiological parameters like appetite, weight,water intake, bladder and bowel movements, pulse, BP, Hb percent etc are within normal limits and there is an elimination in the form of a discharge.
Prognosis is very poor in patients above 65 years of age, cases with gross infiltrations or metastasis and secondary symptoms, when the reduction in weight is rapid, and after all destructive therapies have been tried.
Commonly indicated drugs for Ca Oesophagus at the project were Baryta-carb 30 and 200, Nux vom 30 and 200 Iodum 30. I usually give one dose of Carcinosin 200 to every patient of malignancy sometime during treatment. I have found that this drug oaks the symptoms clear and reduce the pace of development.
Q 2:I am a final year BHMS student. I want to know which case case card must be
followed for good data recording. Please reply in NJH for the benefit of others also.
Miss RS Tare. Bhopal
I am sure you are aware of the fact that neither Dr Hahnemann nor Dr Kent and prescribed any specific format for recording the data of the patient. More so because eliciting of complete symptoms during case taking is an artistic skill, and every Homoeopathic physician has his own method for its fulfilment. So, it is not of much significance which method one adopts to collect the details of the case. What is more important is that you must be able to extract a complete, correct and critically crossed (interrogated) history of the case at hand.
In Academy we have prepared a Standardized Case Card for this purpose. For a neophyte, I will advise that atleast during his initial days of practice he must use or at least keep a case card in front of him while data recording. It will assist him for asking relevant questions so that nothing is left out.
Q 3: Is it possible to cure Diabetes Mellitus of 14 years duration? Do you have any case of diabetes of such a long standing cured with constitutional treatment and is now normal without medicines and on normal diet. If so please oblige.
I do not remember having cured having cured any case of Diabetes Mellitus of such a long standing. There are a number of cases of hyperglycemia and glycosuria of recent origin completely cued under constitutional treatment when they had other symptoms also in the form of mental and physical generals for selecting similimum. I have observed that, prolonged use of anti diabetic drugs always result in a state of disuse atrophy of whatever remaining alpha cells of islets of langerhan, ultimately leading to a state of total dependency. In such stages, cure will be difficult; only palliation with physiological doses of Syzygium jamb, Cephalandra, Rhus arom and few others may help.
Q4:What to do in a complex case where strong indications of different medicines are
presented at the same time?
Dr Rajandra Gupta.
It is true that in present days of modernization the self limiting simple yet natural diseases are transformed. The notable reasons for these unfortunate transformations are (a) massive and irrational use of both, synthetic (crude) as well as Homoeopathic (dynamic) mixtures for getting immediate relief resulting in reduction of natural resistance, dangerous side effects and creation of a Drug Miasm-Most difficult to cure.() Increasing influences of artificialities and synthetics in every facet of our life and living and of course (c) The non-congenial polluted environment.
As a result of all these, the good old curable diseases of Yester years are gradually going into oblivion to become historical antics-a price we are paying for our social progress and prosperity-a sorry state of affairs indeed.
Nevertheless, in order to successfully overcome such predicaments, I suggest the following-.
- Record a complete, correct and critically crossed data of the case at hand after he or she has been thoroughly prepared and satisfactorily settled.
- Make all possible attempts to either stop or at least reduce the doses of the synthetic remedial agents used for syptomatic relief as far as possible. Simultaneously replace, if necessary with physiological doses of organ remedies and or short acting remedies in smaller doses.
- Advise him to curtail all aggravating factors in food, job, habits etc before constitutional treatment is commended.
- Suggest him to regularize his daily routines of eating, sleeping; bowel and bladder movements, etc.
- Monitor the changes in the state of the economy for at least month. You will find that the original (natural)symptoms will return back.
- Retake the case, construct the essential totality and select the appropriate drug, potency and dose. If the case is incurable then refrain from selecting a deep acting remedy. Restrict yourself on superficial acting palliative drugs in low potencies.
The data obtained must be rationally and critically analyzed, according to the Doctrine of Clinical Analyses, under the following heads-1) Congenital, Genetic, Hereditary characters.
- Physiological attributes.
- Physiognomonic features.
- Tendencies Diathesis States Dispositions etc,
- Ailments from, bad effects of (mental as well as. physical), sequelae after, complication from etc.
- Symptoms (true miasmatic, modified or altered due to suppressions
- Target Organ involvement, pathological changes, end results, ultimate and secondary symptoms (non-miasmatic).
- Eliminations in the form, of discharges of eruptions.
- Non-miasmatic responses due to environmental influences like habits-addictions, occupational, social etc.
Assess each group of them according to their merits and manage accordingly for-
- Congenital or Genetic complaints are incurable hence can be palliated.
- Secondary symptoms due to gross pathological changes or ultimates require to be palliated till the primary cause is tackled for eg UTI due to urethral stricture, Hydronephrosis due to obstruction from stone etc. It need be mechanical intervention may be advised.
- Miasmatic manifestations require to be treated by indicated dynamic remedies (acute, chronic etc) inappropriate potencies and repetitions.
- Non miasmatic symptoms due to unsuitable environmental influences, occupation, acute etc needs to be managed by adopting appropriate corrective measures along with short acting dynamic medicines in potencies or organ remedies in physiological doses.
- Deficiencies to be supplemented parental means if oral is not possible.
Appropriate auxiliary measures like physiotherapy, exercises and mental relaxation techniques etc to be suggested.
Q5: Do you agree with Dr S K Dubey of Calcutta, that the study of Allens Key Notes is enough for practising Homoeopathy. Please opine.
I dont think Dr Dubey must have ever said like this because I had the privilege of working with him for two years during my Calcutta days and I never heard such a statement from him. It is true that he has mastered Allens Keynotes mastery helps him to select faster.
The conduct of this column is a benign attempt by the Editorial Board to provide an open platform for the members of the fraternity to get their queries addressed. The author of this column does not claim to be an authority but wishes to submit that the views and opinions expressed by him are his own derived either from his 20 years of clinical and academic experience or obtained from him from respectable sources.
It is the sole discretion of the readers, to either accept or reject part or whole of a solution suggested without criticism against anybody in person.
It is crying shame-
"Why do I get a headache after crying? Not knowing the answer to this question posed by a school girl, led Dr Blau to investigate the relation between crying and headache. He surveyed 75 women wherein 35 reported headache after crying and 2 reported migraine attacks. Thus he suggested that the headaches would arise from the facial muscles, or from the conjunctival or mucosa of paranasal sinuses. Whether crying provokes headaches in men remains to be seen-they were spread the embarrassment of being asked or is it that men dont cry?
LANCET, Feb 95.